World's largest discount
Bentonville, AR 72716
CEO: Mike Duke
Stock Symbol: WMT
Wal-Mart is the world's biggest retailer and also the largest employer with over 2.2 million full- and part-time workers worldwide -- including more than 1.4 million in the U.S. It operates Wal-Mart stores along with Sam's Club membership warehouses in the U.S. and a total of 27 countries.
Known for its low pricing and wide selection
of goods, Wal-Mart has become the undisputed king of retailing.
It is also a feared giant for its sheer size and pricing power.
The company has 10,773 stores worldwide with 4,005 stores in the U.S., 620 Sam's Club stores and 6,148 Walmart International stores.
Wal-Mart Discount Stores average
107,000 square feet, employ an average of 225 associates and
offer 120,000 items.
Wal-Mart Supercenters include supermarkets and average 185,000 square feet, employ 350 or more associates and offer 142,000 different items.
Each Sam's Club employs an average of 160 to 175 associates and offers approximately 5,500 different products. A membership fee ($35 annually for businesses/$40 annually for individuals) is required to shop at Sam's Club.
The company also operates Neighborhood Markets. First opened in 1998, there are over 150 Neighborhood Markets, averaging 42,000 square feet, feature a wide variety of products, including fresh produce, deli foods, fresh meat and dairy items, health and beauty aids, one-hour photo and traditional photo developing services, drive-through pharmacies, stationery and paper goods, pet supplies, and household chemicals. Neighborhood Markets employ 95 associates on average and offer about 29,000 items.
Wal-Mart reported sales of $466.1 billion for fiscal 2013, an increase of 5% from the previous year. Walmart U.S. added more than $10 billion in net sales during fiscal year 2013, including approximately $4.7 billion in comp sales. Walmart International grew net sales 7.4 percent to $135.2 billion for the year. Net sales for Sam's Club, excluding fuel, were $56.4 billion, an increase of 4.9%.
Net income for the entire company was $16.99 billion in fiscal 2013.
The company said there are usually 15,000-50,000 job openings available in the U.S. at anytime. The company says more than 30,000 assistant managers earn an average of more than $40,000 a year. More than 4,000 store managers earn an average of $170,000 a year. 75% of store managers started out as hourly associates. In the U.S., the average, full-time hourly wage is $12.83.
The company announced that it cut 2,300 jobs at the Sam's Club chain in January.
Doug McMillon has been named the new CEO of Wal-Mart and will take over in February 2014 for Mike Duke, who is retiring. McMillon is the President and CEO of Wal-Mart International.
The first Wal-Mart store opened in tiny
Rogers, AR in 1962 by brothers Sam and Bud Walton. By 1964, Wal-Mart
had 24 stores with $12 million in sales and in 1969 Wal-Mart
moved outside the state of Arkansas with stores in Sikeston,
MO, and Claremore, OK.
The company was guided by founder Sam Walton's
passion for customer satisfaction and "Every Day Low Prices."
In 1970, the company opened its first distribution
center and corporate headquarters in Bentonville, AR, where it
is located today. Wal-Mart also went public the same year.
In 1983, the first Sam's Club warehouse
store opened. In 1988, the first Wal-Mart Supercenter opened
which featured a Wal-Mart store with a full-scale supermarket
In 2011, the company said it will no longer pay new workers an extra $1 per hour for working on Sunday. Current employees were not affected.
When you become a Walmart associate, you can take advantage of a variety of great benefits for you and your family, including:
Health & Wellness Benefits
- Consumer-directed health plans including Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRA) plans and a High-deductible plan with an Health Savings Account (HSA). Plans include:
- No lifetime maximum
- 100% coverage for eligible preventive care when you use a network provider
- Coverage for dependents up to age 26
- No pre-existing condition limits for anyone under age 19
- 80% coverage for eligible network services after you meet your total annual deductible
- $4 co-pay on more than 2,000 eligible generic drugs
- Ask Mayo Clinic Nurse Line - speak to a registered nurse 24/7
- Life with Baby Maternity Program - your own personal support network before, during and after pregnancy
- Quit Tobacco program
- Dental Insurance
- Resources For Living -- confidential counseling and health information service free to all associates 24/7
- Company-paid life insurance
- Optional and dependent life insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance (AD&D)
- Critical illness and accident insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Illness protection (sick time)
- Associate Eyewear Program
- Matching contributions to your 401(k) up to 6%
- Associate Stock Purchase Plan with a company match of 15% up to the first $1,800 purchased each Plan year
- Associate Discount Card for Walmart associates, spouses and dependents for 10% discount on regular priced general merchandise and fresh produce purchased at a Walmart store.
- Sam’s Club memberships for Sam’s Club associates
- Discounts travel, entertainment and more
- Retirement account rollover
- Military differential pay
- Paid time-off including: holidays, vacation, personal, bereavement and jury duty
Updated January 26, 2014