Fortune 500 Job Source
Minnesota Job Source
Add Your Resume
Headquarters: 485 Lexington Ave.
New York, NY 10017
CEO: Jay Fishman
Stock Symbol: TRV
Travelers is a leading provider of commercial property and personal insurance in the United States. The company’s diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage in the auto, home and business settings. The company has over 7.7 million personal insurance policies in force.
The company is the second-largest writer of commercial U.S. property casualty insurance and the third-largest writer of U.S. personal insurance through independent agents.
Products are distributed primarily through over 13,000 independent agents throughout the United States
- Personal insurance offers a wide variety of products including automobile, homeowners, renters and condominium policies. We also offer coverages for boats and yachts, floods, identity theft protection, and valuable items.
- Business insurance offers a broad array of coverages to businesses of all sizes, including workers' compensation, property, general liability, product liability, commercial auto, and business owners' package policies. We also offer surety and fiduciary products to businesses and self-employed professionals, and a wide variety of products tailored to the unique needs of individual industries including oil & gas, construction, agribusiness, transportation, and ocean marine coverages.
- Financial, Professional & International Insurance includes surety and financial liability coverages, as well as property and casualty products specially targeted to international customers.
The company has 13,000 trained Claim professionals located in 30 Claim field offices serving every state, as well as a self-contained dedicated Catastrophe Response Team that can move into a disaster area within hours. Customers can report claims 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
In 2012, Travelers reported revenues of $25.7 billion, up 1% from the previous year, and net income of $2.47 billion.
The company's headquarters are in NYC but major offices are in St. Paul, MN with Insurance Operations headquarters in Hartford, CT.
1864 - First company in America to insure against accidents.
1897 - Issued the first automobile insurance policy.
1903 - Opened the first school to train insurance agents.
1904 - Organized the first corps of safety engineers.
1907 - Organized to write property coverages.
1912 - Offered first combination auto policy.
1936 - Launched a drivers' education program.
1953 - Developed the first automobile simulator for driver education purposes.
1956 - Installed first computer, an IBM 650.
1956 - First insurer to establish its own weather research center.
1966 - Held first transcontinental conference call.
1968 - Set up the first employee-staffed claim "hot lines."
1971 - Established the first insurance office of consumer information to answer customers' questions about their policies.
1980 - Developed the first interactive company/agency computer system.
1996 - Developed the first automated fraud detection system as a potent new weapon in the battle against insurance fraud.
1997 - Launched the first insurance policy to protect individuals using personal computers for online banking.
1997 - After Hurricane Andrew, the company developed the industry's first catastrophe response vehicles, self-contained claim offices on wheels.
1998 Beginning in 1998 and spanning the next several years, Travelers leveraged technological advancements to improve ease of doing business for agents. Industry leading innovations include:
- Real-time quoting capability enabling single-entry, multiple-carrier interface
- ATLAS3, a browser-based system allowing agents to quote and issue policies over the Internet
- TRAVGlass, the industry's first Internet-based auto glass claim solution
1999 - Introduced industry-first identity fraud expense reimbursement coverage; insurance protection to consumers for cost of clearing their name and correcting their financial records if they are victim of the growing crime of identity theft.
2003 - Launched MyTravelers.com, allowing customers to pay their bill, check claim status, and view policy information online.
2004- Travelers became part of St. Paul Travelers, creating a new company with 285 years combined experience in managing risk with integrity, innovation and discipline.
In 2007, the company purchased its familiar red umbrella logo from Citigroup and changed its name from St. Paul Travelers to Travelers Companies in 2007.
Travelers was added to the Dow Jones Industrial Average Index in June 2009.
Company benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision care
- Flexible Spending Healthcare Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Pension Plan after one year of employment
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Paid time off - 20 days in first year
- Employee Assistance Program
Updated January 25, 2013