in Connecticut and NY.
100 Westport Ave.
Norwalk, CT 06851
CEO: Stew Leonard Jr.
From its humble beginnings as a small dairy store founded in 1969, Stew Leonard's has grown to become not only the World's Largest Dairy Store, but one of the most renowned grocery stores, with annual sales of nearly $400 million. More than 300,000 shoppers visit Stew Leonard's each week for the farm fresh foods combined in a country fair atmosphere, complete with costumed characters, entertainment, free samples throughout the store and unsurpassed customer service.
Family owned and operated, there are four Stew Leonard's stores -- in Norwalk, Danbury and Newington, CT and one in Yonkers, NY. The company is planning a fifth store in Farmingdale, NY to open in 2016.
While many supermarkets carry over 40,000 items, Stew Leonard's stores only carry 2,200 items, chosen for their freshness, quality and value.
Stew Leonard's Unique Store Design
- A unique feature at Stew Leonard's is that the store only has
one aisle albeit one that winds through the more than 100,000
square feet of each of the company's three stores.
- 80 percent of the products sold in store are fresh that
is, brought in daily or prepared directly in-store. Just some
of the products Stew's makes on the premises daily in front of
- Bagels, artisan breads, croissants, muffins, cakes and cookies
- Fresh mozzarella, sushi, soups, smoked salmon
- Fresh-squeezed juice and roasted coffee
- Custom-cut and trimmed meat by one of our expertly trained
- There are free samples of best selling items in every department.
New products are also showcased with in-store demonstrations
- When a customer spends $100 or more on groceries, the register
"Moos" and the customer is rewarded with a free ice
cream or cup of coffee.
- Little ones who stop by the baker's window can ask for a piece
of dough to play with.
- Customers looking for the restroom need only follow the duck
feet on the floor, which will lead them directly there.
Stew Leonard's was named one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in America by Fortune magazine for 10 consecutive years.
Stew Leonard's history can be traced back
to the early 1920s, when Charles Leo Leonard started Clover Farms
Dairy in Norwalk, CT with just seven employees. It was a state
of the art dairy by the standards of the time - with a pasteurizing
and bottling plant, and fresh milk delivered daily by trucks
that had plastic cows on the front that "mooed" for
the neighborhood children.
In the late sixties, Stew Leonard, Charles'
son, realized the milk delivery business was going the way of
the horse and buggy.
He knew it was time to start something
new was driven home when the state informed him that Clover Farms
Dairy was in the path of a new highway. Stew Leonard's dream
was to build a retail dairy store where children could watch
milk being bottled, while mothers did their shopping in a farmer's
market atmosphere. In December 1969, Stew Leonard's opened its
doors - a 17,000 square foot store carrying just eight items.
Stew Leonard's has grown at an amazing
pace - and 30 additions have since been added to the original
store. Stew Leonard's has taken the fresh dairy concept and expanded
into meats, fish, produce, bakery, cheese and wine. Unlike traditional
grocery stores that sell an average 30,000 items, each Stew Leonard's
store carries only 2,000 items, chosen specifically for their
freshness, quality and value.Stew Leonard's has remained a family
business. In 1987, Stew Leonard, Jr. - Stew's son - took over
the reins and is now President and CEO. Son Tom opened the 2nd
Stew Leonard's in Danbury, CT in 1991.
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Plan
- Legal Services
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401-K Retirement Savings Plan
- Scholarship Program and Tuition Assistance
- Recognition and Awards programs
- Family and Personal paid time off program
- Profit Sharing
- Opportunities for advancement
Updated December 8, 2015