Headquarters: 1000 Stanley Drive
Stanley Black & Decker, an S&P 500 company, is a diversified global provider of hand tools, power tools and related accessories, mechanical access solutions and electronic security solutions, engineered fastening systems, and more.
The company was formed in March 2010 by the merger of Stanley Works and Black and Decker in an all-stock deal valued at $4.5 billion.
The newly combined company has a presence in both Connecticut and Maryland, with its corporate headquarters in New Britain and the Power Tools headquarters remaining in Towson, MD, which is the former headquarters of Black and Decker.
The two companies had a combined $8.4 billion in revenues.
In 1843, an enterprising businessman named Frederick Trent Stanley established a little shop in New Britain, CT to manufacture door bolts and other hardware from wrought iron. Stanley's Bolt Manufactory was only one of dozens of small foundries and other backyard industries in town struggling to make a go of it by turning out metal products.
But Stanley possessed a special innovative spirit and an uncommon passion for doing things right and his modest enterprise prospered and grew as The Stanley Works.
In 1910, S. Duncan Black and Alonzo G. Decker started their shop, similar in size at first, in Baltimore, MD. Six years later they changed the world by obtaining the world’s first patent for a portable power tool, and the company they built has been changing the world ever since.
Updated August 13, 2010