Lower Manhattan Hospital
170 William St.
New York, NY 10038
Senior VP and Chief Operating Officer: Michael Fosina
Lower Manhattan Hospital is the newest wholly owned hospital of New York-Presbyterian.
Formerly New York Downtown Hospital, Lower Manhattan Hospital merged with New York-Presbyterian in June 2013 with the approval and assistance of the NY State Department of Health.
The 180-bed healthcare facility is the only hospital south of 14th Street in Manhattan serving over 750,000 residents.
Lower Manhattan Hospital is an academic affiliate of the Weill Medical College of Cornell University.
1853 - Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D., the first licensed woman physician in the United States, founds the New York Dispensary for Poor Women and Children.
1857 - Dr. Blackwell opens a hospital, The New York Infirmary for Indigent Women and Children, near present-day Tompkins Square Park on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. The following year, The Infirmary moves to large quarters on Stuyvesant Square.
1905 - St. Gregory s Free Emergency Accident Hospital and Ambulance Station is founded by the Volunteers of America, and later named Volunteer Hospital.
1922 - After the September 1920 bombing of JP Morgan Company, Wall Street financiers create Broad Street Hospital, taking over Volunteer Hospital.
1932 - The Kate Depew Strang Clinic is founded by Dr. Elise Strang L'Esperance, one of Dr. Blackwell s first students. The Strang Clinic is the world's first specialized cancer treatment clinic and the site of the world's first cancer prevention program.
1937 - The Strang Cancer Prevention Clinic at The New York Infirmary opens.
1945 - St. Gregory s Free Emergency Accident Hospital and Ambulance Station merges with Broad Street Hospital to form Beekman Downtown Hospital.
1969 - New York Infirmary forms an affiliation with NYU Medical Center to strengthen teaching programs at both institutions.
1975 - FALN, a Puerto Rican nationalist group, bombs Fraunces Tavern, a meeting place for financiers and government officials for over 150 years. Four people were killed and 50 were wounded, many of whom came to the Hospital s emergency department for life-saving treatment.
1979 - New York Infirmary merges with Beekman Downtown Hospital and in 1981 relocates from Stuyvesant Square to its present location at 170 William Street in Lower Manhattan.
1991 - New York Infirmary-Beekman Downtown Hospital affiliates with The New York Hospital and is renamed New York Downtown Hospital.
1993 - Within minutes of the explosion at the World Trade Center Towers, New York Downtown Hospital begins to receive hundreds of injured victims. The explosion kills 6, injures over 1,000, and forces more than 50,000 people to evacuate.
1994 - New York Downtown Hospital begins an affiliation with NYU Medical Center. In 1997, New York Downtown Hospital is renamed NYU Downtown Hospital.
2001 - NYU Downtown Hospital gains international recognition for its extraordinary response during the tragedy of September 11, 2001. The Hospital treats over 1,000 victims; offers refuge to an additional 450 people; provides care, prescriptions and over 350 meals to seniors in the community -- all despite the loss of water, electrical power, telephones/faxes, computers, steam and gas.
2002 - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg proclaims March 11 as "NYU Downtown Hospital Day."
2003 - NYU Downtown Hospital breaks ground for the full reconstruction and expansion of its emergency center. The renovation will create a state-of-the-art emergency facility designed to meet the unique needs of Lower Manhattan. The new facility will be named The Lehman Brothers Emergency Center in recognition of a generous gift of $5 million from The Lehman Brothers Foundation.
2005 - NYU Downtown Hospital severs its ties to NYU Medical Center and shortly thereafter becomes a member of the prestigious NewYork-Presbyterian Healthcare System. The Hospital reverts to its traditional name: New York Downtown Hospital.
2006 - New York Downtown Hospital opens a new Emergency Center. This new state-of-the-art emergency facility is double the size of the previous emergency room and can handle more than triple the capacity. Every patient area has been upgraded, including those for women, children, asthma and chest pain patients, and people in need of routine care. The new facility includes the largest decontamination unit in the city for responding to bio-terrorism, as well as other improvements to enhance the Hospital's ability to respond to both individual and community-wide emergencies.
The hospital offers a competitive salary and benefits package.