California Job Source
Add Your Resume
World's leading provider of streaming movies and TV shows.
100 Winchester Circle
Los Gatos, CA 95032
CEO: Reed Hastings
Stock Symbol: NFLX
Netflix, Inc. is the world's leading internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV programs. The company has more than 65 million members in 50 countries including the United States, Canada, Latin America, the United Kingdom, Ireland and the Nordics.
Netflix lets you watch movies and TV shows over the Internet or you can get them on DVDs sent to your house via first-class mail. Unlimited streaming is available for just $7.99 per month for Standard Definition and $8.99 per month for High Definition. You can also get DVDs sent to you one at a time for an additional $7.99 per month and $2 more for blu-ray discs. There are no due dates or late fees.
Netflix streaming customers have become one of the biggest sources of bandwidth usage on the Internet, with as much as 25% of all Internet traffic especially on Friday and Saturday nights. Viewers can watch Netflix on tablets, laptops, desktop computers and the XBox 360.
In 2014, Netflix reported total revenues of $5.5 billion and net income of $266.7 million. The company added 13 million global streaming members in 2014.
The company has spent heavily on licensing movies and shows for its customer base.
Netflix has also funded its own original series House of Cards and Orange is the New Black that have both won Emmy awards. The company has also funded documentaries and developing its own movies in a deal with actor Adam Sandler.
Netflix stock completed a 7-for-1 split in July 2015.
- 1997 - Reed Hastings and fellow software executive Marc Randolph co-found Netflix to offer online movie rentals.
- 1999 - Netflix launches the subscription service, offering unlimited rentals for one low monthly subscription.
- 2000 - Netflix launches the personalized movie recommendation system that uses Netflix members' ratings to accurately predict choices for all Netflix members.
- May 22, 2002 - Netflix makes its initial public offering (IPO) of 5,500,000 shares at $15.00 per share on Nasdaq under the ticker NFLX. Total Netflix members at the time: 600,000.
- 2002 - Netflix ends the year with 857,000 members, up 88 percent from 2001.
- 2003 - Netflix ends the year with 1,487,000 members, up 74 percent from 2002.
- 2004 - Netflix ends the year with 2,610,000 total members, up 76 percent from 2003.
- 2005 - Netflix ends the year with 4.2 million members, up 60 percent from 2004.
- 2006 - Netflix launches the Netflix Prize, promising $1 million to the first person or team who can achieve certain accuracy goals in recommending movies based on personal preferences. The company releases 100 million anonymous movie ratings ranging from one to five stars, the largest such data set ever released.
- 2006 - Netflix ends the year with 6.3 million members, up 51 percent over 2005.
- 2007 - Netflix introduces streaming, which allows members to instantly watch television shows and movies on their personal computers.
- 2007 - Netflix ends the year with 7.5 million members, up 18 percent over 2006.
- 2008 - Netflix partners with consumer electronics companies to stream on the Xbox 360, Blu-ray disc players, TV set-top boxes and the Apple Macintosh computer.
- 2008 - Netflix ends year with 9.4 million members, up 26 percent over 2007.
- 2009 - Netflix partners with consumer electronics companies to stream on the PS3, Internet connected TVs and other Internet connected devices.
- 2009 - Netflix awards the $1 million Netflix Prize to the "BellKor's Pragmatic Chaos" team of seven researchers from four countries; over three years the contest has attracted more than 40,000 teams from 186 countries.
- 2009 - Netflix ends the year with 12.3 million members, up 31 percent over 2008.
- 2010 - Netflix is available on the Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, the Nintendo Wii, and other Internet connected devices.
- 2010 - Netflix launches in Canada.
- 2010 - Netflix ends year with 20 million members, up 63 percent from 2009.
- 2011 - Netflix launches throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
- 2012 - Netflix launches in the United Kingdom, Ireland and the Nordics
- 2012 - Netflix surpasses 30 million members globally
Updated July 18, 2015