NC Job Source
Add Your Resume
Operates leading network of medical testing labs.
358 South Main Street
Burlington, NC 27215
CEO: David King
Stock Symbol: LH
LabCorp runs the world's leading clinical testing labs. The company operates a sophisticated laboratory network and logistics infrastructure, with more than 34,000 employees worldwide.
LabCorp's 220,000 clients include physician offices, hospitals, managed care organizations, and biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. LabCorp processes tests on more than 470,000 samples per day and annually examines in excess of 10 million cytology and 2 million surgical pathology samples.
LabCorp operates a nationwide network of 38 primary testing locations, more than 1,500 patient service centers, and routine testing is the cornerstone of the company's industry-leading national network.
LabCorp laboratories have been at the forefront of new molecular tests to diagnose, treat and manage disease, particularly in the areas of infectious disease, oncology and genetics.
The company reported 2012 revenues of $5.67 billion and net earnings of $583.1 million.
LabCorp combines its expertise in innovative clinical testing technology with specialized Centers of Excellence.
- The Center for Molecular Biology and Pathology (CMBP) - Located in Research Triangle Park, NC, the CMBP develops applications for polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technology. LabCorp was an early pioneer in Infectious Disease testing, and was the first commercial laboratory to offer HIV viral load and resistance testing. As a scientific leader in the field of Diagnostic Genetics, the CMBP's scientists are known for their expertise in such areas as cytogenetics, and biochemical and molecular genetic testing for conditions like Down Syndrome, cystic fibrosis and Tay-Sachs syndrome.
- National Genetics Institute (NGI) - Located in Los Angeles, CA, NGI is developing novel, highly sensitive PCR methods for testing hepatitis C and other infectious agents. This LabCorp Center is an industry leader in hepatitis and HIV testing and at the forefront of state-of-the-art advancements in the area of plasma screening.
- ViroMed, Inc - This Minneapolis, MN Center offers molecular microbial testing using real-time PCR platforms, molecular infectious disease testing, safety testing for tissue and eye banks, and the most up-to-date techniques for clinical trials testing including pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and contract research organizations working on new drug development.
- The Center for Esoteric Testing (CET) - The CET performs the largest volume of specialty testing in the Company network. It is comprised of eight departments - Allergy, Diagnostic Immunology, Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Esoteric Immunoassay, the Kidney Stone Management Program, Microbiology, Special Chemistry and Clinical Toxicology. The Center operates within a 212,000 square foot laboratory complex, where more than 22 million tests are performed a year.
- DIANON Systems, Inc - DIANON Systems, Inc, (DIANON), in Stratford, CT, is a leader in providing full-service, outpatient anatomic pathology and clinical pathology services. DIANON's pathologists specialize in specific organ systems and clinical disciplines of uropathology, dermatopathology, and gastrointestinal pathology.
- US LABS - US LABS, based in Irvine, Calif, is a leading anatomic pathology and hematopathology laboratory providing a broad menu of esoteric oncology tests with expertise in advanced assays across multiple methodologies.
- Esoterix, Inc - Esoterix, Inc, and its Colorado Coagulation, Endocrine Sciences, and Cytometry Associates laboratories offer specialized disciplines of esoteric testing expertise.
- Litholink Corporation - Litholink Corporation, in Chicago, IL, offers laboratory based programs for kidney stone prevention and chronic kidney disease.
- Monogram Biosciences, Inc. - Monogram Biosciences located in San Francisco, CA, specializes in HIV resistance testing and personalized medicine.
Many people think of LabCorp simply as the merger of Roche Biomedical Laboratories and National Health Laboratories in 1995. However, its roots extend back to 1905 when Hoffmann-La Roche began operations in the United States. Hoffmann-La Roche officially entered the lab business when it acquired the Kings County Research Laboratory in 1969. About the same time as Hoffmann-La Roche was purchasing Kings County Research Laboratory, Thomas Edward Powell III, and his twin brothers, Dr. James B. Powell and John Powell, were forming Biomedical Laboratories (later known as Biomedical Reference Laboratories) in a hospital basement in Burlington, NC. After a number of acquisitions, Hoffmann-La Roche acquired Biomedical Reference Laboratories in 1982. In 1983, Hoffmann-La Roche merged all of its laboratory companies into one company, which it called Roche Biomedical Laboratories (RBL).
In 1995, National Health Laboratories and Roche Biomedical Laboratories merged to become one of the largest clinical lab providers in the world.
The two young, prospering companies first combined efforts in 1958 when they pooled their buying efforts and storage facilities.
On February 1, 1960, Harris Super Markets and Teeter’s Food Marts officially merged to form Harris Teeter Super Markets, Inc. There were already 15 stores in operation. The first “Harris Teeter” store to open under the new banner was in Kannapolis, NC.
- Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employees' Savings Plan (401k)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Basic Life Insurance
- Optional Life
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Specified Critical Illness Insurance
- Whole Life Insurance
- Commuter Spending Accounts
Life Balance Programs
- Adoption Assistance Program
- Auto and Homeowner's Insurance
- Credit Union Membership
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Assistance Plan
- Wellness and Disease Management Programs
- Voluntary Benefits and Discount Programs
- 24-hour Nurseline
- LabCorp CBCS University
- Supervisor Development Training
- Tuition Refund Plan
- Matching Gift Program
- Personal Leave Bank Donation
- Volunteer Program
Updated December 17, 2013